Steam cleaners are now prominent in the cleaning industry, and for a good reason. They’re great to use in several scenarios such as deep cleaning carpets, general wear and tear clean up, pet stain removals, removing dust mites from furniture and removing tough stains from clothes. Also, they can be used on almost any surface.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Steam Mop
Here is the list of all key points you must keep in mind before buying a steam mop.
- Where will you use the steam mop?
- Is the mop easy to maneuver? (You’ll want something that has a handle that makes it easy to use with different hand positions).
- How many attachments does it come with? ( attachments render more versatility and easiness during work).
- Is the water tank capacity adequate for a decent-sized area at a single time?
- Does the mop have a wide enough base for your floors? (Some steam mops don’t have enough base and can scratch your floor surface)
Pros and Cons of Different Steam Cleaners
Hand-Held Steam Cleaner
- Easy to use.
- Easy to maneuver around the house.
- Great for cleaning the microfiber on your furniture.
- Not very good at removing tough spots, stubborn stains from hard surfaces such as the kitchen or around your bathroom sink.
- Not applicable for hard-to-reach areas such as under cabinets or around the coils of a refrigerator.
- It’s not adequate to remove deep stains on carpets.
- Not preferred as a deep-cleaning tool.
- It can be awkward to use if you have several obstacles in the area.
Deluxe Hand Held Steam Cleaner
- Better than the handheld version at removing stains.
- Powerful enough to do deep-cleaning on carpets.
- This model can be heavy to carry around, so you’d have to use it on a stand instead of carrying it around.
- You can also attach a hose with it, but it won’t work well if you have furniture obstacles in the way. Also, when using an extension cord, it may not be feasible due to the width of the cord.
Hoover wh20200 Steamvac
- Powerful enough for almost any job.
- Great at cleaning carpets and can remove some of the toughest stains. Also, it doesn’t do any permanent damage since it uses heat instead of steam.
- It can clean hard surfaces such as floorings and countertops, etc.
- It’s well-suited for cleaning delicate or expensive floors.
- Easy to maneuver around the house.
- It does an amazing job at removing tough spots/stains from all different types of surfaces and is also great at removing stains on carpets.
- It’s fairly lightweight.
- Its cord length is long for easy maneuverability.
- This mop is expensive.
Where to Buy a Steam Mop?
You can find steam cleaners in most department stores, home improvement stores, discount stores and upscale furniture suppliers such as Crate & Barrel. Sometimes you can find it in conventional stores, but its price may vary. If, for some reason, you can’t find one at your local store, check out some online retailers such as Amazon.
Is Steaming Floors Better Than Mopping?
The short answer is yes. Steam mops are better than regular mops because they clean the floors with steam, which is more effective at killing germs than just hot water. Also, natural mop heads can harbor bacteria and grow mold if made out of the wrong material. So it’s best to buy one that has a washable microfiber pad or cotton cover instead of an old rag or towel.
If you are looking for a steam mop, the best way to go about it is to choose one powerful and effective at cleaning your carpets/upholstery and is also made very well. You can always buy quality. So if you’re beginning to buy your first steam mop, I would suggest that you pick either a handheld or electric steam cleaner as these are the best types of cleaners for your needs at the moment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How long does the steam cleaner last?
A. The average life span of a steam cleaner is about four to five years. Some products can last more than that, but it’s tough to tell until you wash them and use them on different jobs.
Q. Can you travel with a steam mop?
A. Yes, you can. It has wheels on it, so you can attach it to the bottom of the steamer and move it around. You can also use a hose if your steam cleaner does not have wheels attached to its bottom.
Q. Can you use the steam mop on hardwood floors?
A. No, you can’t. Hardwood floors should never be cleaned with a steam mop because it will heat the wood and potentially warp it. However, you can use a simple mop to clean it.
Q. How much water does a steam mop use?
A. It depends on how many times it cleans your floor, but most steam mops use between 1/3 and 1/2 gallons of water. However, some steam mops come with accessories, such as a refill kit for refilling the tank or a hard plastic tank that can be filled without spilling water all over your floor.