They are a modern version of the steam floor cleaner. Initially, these mops were a tool used to clean floors before new construction and renovations. They became extremely popular for this job that they are widely available for anyone to use now.
Use of Steam Mops:
They are often used in large households, as each steam mop can cover up to 20,000 square feet. This size is perfect for large homes and businesses that have many types of flooring surfaces. They provide effective cleaning of hard surfaces such as laminate, stone and tile floors. They are also helpful in cleaning carpets and other flooring materials such as vinyl and linoleum. A steam mop can be used on its own or together with a vacuum cleaner. When used with a vacuum cleaner, they can remove dry, sticky messes which may be stuck on the floor after the steam mop has removed the moisture and dirt. They can do quick cleaning as well as deep cleaning based on their variants.
Traditional mops are made of nylon and are often used to clean surfaces such as tile, hardwood, laminate floors, linoleum, and even carpets. They come in various shapes and sizes depending on the type of floors they are intended to clean. The mop can be rectangular or triangular, with a handle attached at one end and a soft, absorbent head at the other.
Traditional mops often include longer handles that users can hold as they walk behind the mop or shorter handles, allowing users to push the mop from behind. Special mop heads are designed to remove specific stains such as pet stains or grease.
Use of Traditional Mops:
Traditional mops are a conventional choice for cleaning many different types of floors. The conventional mop is also a popular choice in high-traffic floor households. Homeowners may find that their household isn’t large enough to support a floor steam cleaner but can rely on the traditional mop to clean another room or many surfaces in their home.
Steam Mops vs. Traditional Mops: Cleaning Power
Steam mops have recently been in the spotlight with their cleaning power claims three times better than traditional ones, with a clean 30% reduction (source). But, how true this statement is will depend on the composition of the cleaning solution and what type of water is used to clean.
Steam Mops vs. Traditional Mops: Cost
Traditional mopping is generally more affordable than steam mopping. But, Steam mops are best suited for areas with either a permanent or portable water supply, which means that those who use a lot of water may find it more cost-effective to have a steam cleaner than to purchase refills for traditional mops. Steam cleaner refills may be more expensive than traditional detergent refills due to being labeled by the manufacturer.
Steam Mops vs. Traditional Mops: The Ease of Use Of
Steam mops are easy to use and require little effort to operate. They also require minimal clean-up after every use and you can typically use them within an hour of refilling their hot water supply.
On the other hand, traditional mops take several minutes longer to heat up and require time to cool down before you can use them. It takes more effort to clean traditional mop heads because it requires buying a new mop head or cleaning the old one.
Steam Mop vs. Traditional Mop: Advantages
Both mops have some advantages such as,
- The treated water from steam mops is less harmful to the environment due to the low, harsh chemicals than traditional mops.
- The eco-friendliness of traditional mops and the eco-friendliness of steam mops are similar.
- Another benefit is that these mops can be used with any water source, whether tap water or distilled directly from the faucet.
- The bacteria in the water used for steam mop cleaning have fewer harmful chemicals to humans and the environment than in traditional mops since fewer chemicals are found in steam mop water.
Steam Mop vs. Traditional Mop: Disadvantages
Both mops have some disadvantages also such as:
- Traditional mops can be challenging to clean because they need to be refilled often.
- Steam mops do require more maintenance and cleaning overall than traditional ones. They can be used with any water source from water or distilled water for distilled water mops, making it easier on the environment.
- Traditional mops have to be refilled with water more often than a steam mop does.
- A Steam Cleaner is considered more effective in eliminating grime and bacteria from surfaces than traditional mops can because of its ability to clean hard-to-reach areas and is self-powered.
Steam mops are generally considered more effective than traditional ones because you can use them with any water source. They clean more effectively than traditional ones too. Steam mops also use less energy than traditional mops require and clean up many times faster, which means that you can spend less time cleaning and more time using your house.
Q: Are steam mops environmentally friendly?
A: Yes. An environmental problem with traditional mops is that the rag and head of the mop are not recyclable. On the other hand, these can be recycled using steam mops if they are damaged.
Q: Are there better ways to clean hardwood floors than a steam cleaner?
A: Yes, a steam cleaner is one of many tools you can use to clean hardwood floors. It is recommended that you try other tools before deciding what cleaning tool is best for you and your needs.